Many Many Happy Returns of the day Anish.
Feel very weird to see that I will not be able to hug you and wish this year. I’ve gotten used to some drama and cheese on Jan 29th. How you painstakingly endure the hugs and open your gifts..I wish today that I will see you soon. Here’s to a great day and year ahead, full of fun, laughter, learning, health and friends…..lots and lots of friends. Celine To, River and Olga……you can perhaps walk the fountain perimeter on campus again today….
So let me list here about 18 things that are totally Anish…a bit disarrayed…
- Super nerdy, does not like not knowing anything….high FOMO index.
- Anytime ready for a game, an adventure – at the drop of a hat. I recall how you assembled a bunch of friends for an SLV launch at Sriharikota and made the road trip.
- Loves everyone, practically everyone. Projects a complete contrary image. There are haters mom, but there are no bad people, only people who do bad things...an oft repeated line.
- Can’t sleep. Period. Chats everyone on about 6 chat windows into the wee hours of the night…but hates it if anyone of us stops by for a chat….he runs an abnormally fiendish normal full night, as if it was just another day.
- Loves to be connected to all his friends. I’ve witnessed days when he’d go rushing unplanned to a party just to watch and ensure his friends are playing safe.
- Huge conversations tire him out….he will listen patiently to you, and be cognitively alert in his responses; but he’s secretly bored if it lasts more than 15 mins…he’s filled up his day you see….to many things to do and too many people on his list
- very intuitive…can sense a room like a cat very rapidly; and weave the atmosphere back to all-good..
- lucid and objective clarity of thought, to date I sit with him for major decisions and plan steps to take
- alacrity of action in crisis, I’ve seen him calmly jump into action whenever I need an ER visit
- loves himself and hates himself in turns, maniacally…[ Ah mom, I’m awesome, .. …mom am I fat?]
- loves to learn…his love for Terence Tao took him to UCLA. And I see the relish with which he learns Math, and all related science.
- cares a lot about stories, chats up cabbies, security guards, professors, friends, acquaintances; almost everyone about their stories, what’s important to them, their aspirations etc…stores it away somewhere
- loves to cook….i remember how he makes the most creative sandwiches / noodles/snacks…he knows where one can get the best food of any cuisine…but if he is hungry he will not ask; he will stare at the fridge in silence and open/close the door…; he also will not ask for seconds…unless it is red hot pepper pickles…
- pretty remote on most days, will not divulge most of himself…his story you will discover in tiny infinitesimal layers, with each adventure of his
- cannot stand subterfuge…any sort of deceit really gets to him in a bad way and upsets him for days on end
- loves to begin his day with laughs…EIC is a great place he lands first hour in the morning and barrels down the stairs laptop in hand to share some laughs
- buys fancy shirts by the tons and always goes for the favorite old ones in black or dull brown everywhere, it drives me nuts
- loyal, caring and aloof at the same time, sudden bursts of affection and bent-over hugs from him are rare but special….